Whale watching season start date in Perth every year is from late August through to December. Daily whale watching cruises out of Hillarys Boat Harbour every month in Perth’s whale watching season. Guaranteed whale sightings. 3-4 hour cruises with departure points at Barrack Street Perth CBD, Hillarys Boat Harbour, Mindarie Marina, Barrack Street and Fremantle Jetties.
Because it is a migration (north to south), the season can only start and continue while the whales are here (usually months September through early December – it all depends on the whales!).
Why don’t you come and enjoy an informative, interesting and exciting narrative given by our Whale Watching crew aboard one of our big safe Perth whale watching cruise boats as you view these magnificent mammals making their yearly migration through Perth’s coastal waters!!
Not only can you see these magnificent whales, you can listen to whales communicate with each other (conditions permitting) with our under water micophone – we are the only operator in Perth with this high tech device, so …You can hear them too!
Our success rate is exceptional.? However, if whales are not sighted during your cruise, you will be eligible for another cruise free of charge. Conditions apply. See our terms and conditions for further clarification.
Three types of baleen whales off the coast of Western Australia.
- The Humpback Whale (so named because it arches its back as it prepares to dive so creating the shape of a hump)
- The Southern Right Whale (so named because in the old days of whaling, whalers considered this whale the right one to hunt as it swam very slowly and was therefore easy to catch and because its body was so rich in oil, it floated on the surface after it had been killed)
- The Blue Whale which is coloured a steely grey on the surface but when seen from below is a beautiful turquoise blue. It is the largest of the Whales, reaching up to 100 feet in length and 130 tonnes in weight.
The blue whale is the largest animal on Earth! This endangered mammal is also the largest animal that ever lived on Earth; it is larger than any of the giant dinosaurs were.
Whale watching cruises depart only 20 minutes from Perth City (closer than Fremantle).
- On-board male and female toilets.
- Bring something warm to wear.
- Boats depart from Hillarys Boat Harbour at the jetty in front of the Aquarium of Western Australia – AQWA. Office and meeting point located next to the departure jetty.
- Departures daily at 9:00 am during the season, and some afternoons (particularly weekends) from 1:30pm where required.
Join us for a Whale Watching Eco-Adventure aboard one of our whale watching tours.
Phone Whale Watching Perth